Join in the Fun: Newport-Mesa Spirit Run
Image Courtesy of Spirit Run
Mark your calendars and get your racing shoes ready because the Spirit Run – Race for the Schools is back SUNDAY, MARCH 1st. This is one of my favorite local events (which says a lot because I am not a big fan of having to get out of the house on a Sunday morning). This will be our 3rd year running!
Some of you may have read my post from last year, but for those of you who are new to our feed, I will lay out why I think you need to join the fun.
- This is a community event. No doubt you will run into friends, classmates and neighbors. Even better, plan on meeting up with your friends before the race and run together. In fact, this year’s theme is COMMUNITY SPIRIT.
- This is a legit race with a 10k option and an elite mile, but there is a HUGE focus on the youth races with 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and 1 mile races so even kids as young as 4 can participate.
- Unless you are in that serious running category, you don’t have to get out of the house THAT early. The youth races start after 9:00am. See below for Race Day Schedule.
- You can pick up your race materials at Blaze Pizza the Friday before race day (February 28th) between 4:30 and 7:00pm and save yourself even more time the morning of. While you are there, grab dinner, mention that you are there for the Spirit Run, and Blaze Pizza will donate 20% to the Spirit Run.
- All net proceeds from the Spirit Run go towards youth causes including education and fitness.
- Not sure how busy your weekend will be? You can always register on your phone the morning of and pick up your packet right after.
- After the race, enjoy the Youth, Fitness, and Dog Expo set up by the finish line. Camp Newport will be there showcasing summer camp opportunities. And of course, the bungee trampoline and rock climbing are always a big draw (get in line early).
Now if you are thinking your little one won’t run, you might be surprised. I certainly was. I knew my older daughter would run (she was in Kindergarten when we started), but I thought there was no way my youngest child would. She loved to be carried everywhere. In fact, if she could still get away with it now at 5-years-old, she would. But someone lit a fire in her shoes at that first race two years ago and she took off running. The look on her face (and mine) was priceless. And when she crossed that finish line, exhaustion AND pride was written all over it!
MOM TIP: Even if you don’t plan on running (there is a 5k walk and a Family Mile), I suggest wearing tennis shoes. Depending on how old your child is, you might find yourself running alongside or behind them. **Personal experience talking here.
NOW FOR THE DETAILS – RACE INFORMATION
Race Day • Sunday, March 1, 2020. View the Race Day Schedule
Location • The Loop around Fashion Island. View the Course Map
Parking • Parking will be available adjacent to Regal Cinemas. View Road Closures
Cost • The cost varies depending on the event. View the Spirit Run website to Register
Updates • Sign up to receive email updates from the Spirit Run, including possible discounts. Subscribe