Paula’s Choice: A Better Skincare Option
At The Local Moms Network, we love to share brands that are true to our mission of “giving moms the gift of time”. So when we partner with companies, we want to highlight ones that really deliver. That’s why we wanted to share what we’ve learned about Paula’s Choice, a company that is dedicated to research, using top-notch ingredients, and offering formulas that give a full spectrum of benefits (meaning you can wash, heal and protect your skin without spending any more time than necessary). Here’s a bit more about Paula’s Choice, including the ingredients you should look for in your skincare, and how to try out this unique brand.
Who is Paula and why did she start Paula’s choice?
Paula Begoun launched Paula’s Choice 35 years ago because she believed (and still does) that women deserve the truth about their skincare. Having suffered from acne and eczema, Paula began reading products labels, and realized that most products didn’t contain the best ingredients that would improve her skin. She started to learn everything she could about the science of skincare, and wrote 20 bestselling books on beauty. In 1995, she used that knowledge to launch Paula’s Choice Skincare.
Can you share a bit more about the commitment to science-backed research?
Science and truth are the core of our company. Even when the research is unpopular, we share what we’ve learned and apply it to our own product development. As a fundamental product philosophy, all Paula’s Choice formulas must be supported and verified by research to work as claimed. They must deliver results, be non-irritating, fragrance-free, cruelty-free, and contain an array of ingredients proven to hydrate, defend against environmental pollutants, aid in barrier repair, help skin fight signs of aging, reduce acne and clogged pores, and overall improve skin’s health and appearance. To date, Paula’s Choice Skincare is one of the only companies that features cited scientific research studies to guide formulations. On top of that, we offer consumers a library of expert articles, a cosmetic ingredient dictionary and a brilliant staff of highly trained Consultants who can create curated routines for customers and their personal needs.
Why do you only use the best ingredients?
To make sure we’re providing customers with products that deliver results, all our active ingredients must be used in amounts that research proves effective. Every product is developed using hundreds of independent published studies, safety data and extensive consumer testing, proving the formula is not harmful to skin in any way. Packaging is also key. Smart packaging is a cornerstone of the Paula’s Choice brand as we don’t use jar packaging. From airless pumps, multi-layer tubes, glass bottles and restrictive openings, we make sure consumers are getting the most from the products they purchase. Good news! Most containers are recyclable as well.
What are some of the ingredients that women who are serious about skincare should know about?
Our “Top 5” are Hyaluronic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Niacinamide, Exfoliants and Omega Fatty Acids. Here is a bit more about these five “hero” ingredients—plus, where to find them in our line.
- Naturally-occurring substance in skin that holds 1000x its weight in moisture (1 gram of hyaluronic acid can hold up to six liters of water!)
- Works to restore a healthy, supple, look and feel to skin – it’s often noted for its remarkable ability to instantly plump skin’s appearance and lessening fine lines and wrinkles
- Comes in more than just one form, including the salt form called sodium hyaluronate
- Available In: Hyaluronic Acid Booster
- A true, multi-benefit ingredient, with research still emerging on how effective it can be for a variety of skin concerns
- Can act as a gentle exfoliant to refine skin’s surface
- Improves the look of dark spots, as well as post-acne redness
- Also has antioxidant benefits
- Available In: Azelaic Acid Booster
- Also known as vitamin B3
- Visibly improves the appearance of enlarged pores
- Brightens uneven skin tone for a less dull, more radiant appearance
- It lessens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and is a powerhouse anti-aging ingredient
- Did we mention it’s also an antioxidant that helps strengthens skin’s surface so it can look and feel younger?
- Available In: Niacinamide Booster
- Leave-on, chemical exfoliants help skin to naturally shed the way it did when it was younger, getting rid of dullness and creating a more youthful glow
- Salicylic acid, or BHA (beta hydroxy acid) is great for skin prone to clogged pores, blemishes, or bumps because it has the power to penetrate deep into pores for skin that’s noticeably smoother
- BHA also soothes skin and calms redness
- AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) like glycolic acid and lactic acid help skin’s surface shed layers to reduce the look of sun damage, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Both types of exfoliants also have hydrating properties to make skin look rejuvenated and replenished
- Available In: SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant (BHA), 8% AHA Gel (AHA)
Omega Fatty Acids
- Omega fatty acids are found naturally both in certain types of fish and numerous plants
- These acids are crucial building blocks for skin’s surface, and putting them on skin helps reinforce it and make it noticeably smoother
- They’re a lightweight source of hydration
- They calm skin so it looks less red and feels less sensitive, plus they help lessen dehydration and flakiness
- All omega fatty acids also have antioxidant benefits to protect skin from environmental factors
- Available In: Omega Complex+ Moisturizer
What is the best way to try out Paula’s Choice?
We have several kits and travel sizes available that make trying our products a breeze! Some of our favorites include:
DEFENSE Travel Size Kit $24.This 4 product travel kit interrupts signs of premature aging, dullness and discoloration caused by environmental pollution.
RESIST Travel Size Kit $24. This essential anti-aging routine for normal/dry skin replenishes moisture, improves skin tone and refines the look of fine lines and wrinkles for a more youthful appearance.
CLEAR Regular Strength Kit $13. This simple to use 3-step routine quickly combats and controls acne and breakouts, unclogs pores and calms redness without causing dryness or flaking.
Looking for just one product to try? Our #1 product worldwide + cult favorite is the 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant. This gentle leave-on exfoliant quickly unclogs pores, smooths wrinkles, and brightens and evens out skin tone in one simple step!
What is new at Paula’s Choice?
We’re always busy working on meaningful products that add value to our portfolio and customer routines. A couple of our most recent launches include:
On-the-Go Shielding Powder SPF 30– This silky loose powder with gentle mineral SPF 30 enhancement features a built-in brush to seamlessly touch up your sun protection and refine skin on the go.
Omega+ Complex Moisturizer– This luxe, cloud-like cream nourishes with omega-rich superfoods for healthier, instantly softer, smoother skin.
CLINICAL Ceramide-Enriched Firming Eye Cream– This hydrating eye cream blends five ceramides and fatty acids to restore skin’s youthful resilience and firmer appearance. Four forms of vitamin C, retinol, peptides and plant-derived brighteners visibly reduce fine lines, wrinkles and under eye darkness.
What else should people know about your brand?
No matter the channel — phone, email, chat, social — we are ready to help you find the routine that’s right for your skin type and concerns. From our Routine Finder which provides a customized routine after only 4 questions to our Client Services department who can guide you through product selection with a Private Consultation, we’ve got your back!
On top of that, we stand behind every Paula’s Choice product. If customers are not absolutely satisfied with their purchase for any reason, we’ll happily provide a full refund or credit.
We love our planet, so sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint are a priority for us as a brand. From recycling initiatives to doing away with outer cartons for our products, reducing printing, etc.
Finally, at Paula’s Choice we have never tested on animals at any stage of product development and never will. We also do not contract with any third parties to conduct animal testing on our behalf, which means we eliminated animal testing from our company, but also from our ingredient suppliers. We’re also a dog-friendly office so on any given day, you can find a host of furry friends hanging out at the office.
To learn more about Paula’s Choice, click here.
This post is sponsored by Paula’s Choice.