One of the hardest parts of the coronavirus lockdown is keeping my children away from their grandparents. We are extremely lucky in that my children have an especially close relationship with all four grandparents, but that makes this stay-away order even more heartbreaking (never mind the fact that I also lost some free babysitting!). I know we are not alone in this feeling, whether it is missing a parent, grandparent or best friend, and I guarantee they are missing us as well. A simple, fun way to brighten their day . . . mail them a photo bookmark of your child.
1. Take a full body photo of your child with their hands clasped together and held over their head. If your child is really young, you might want to give them something small to hold in their hands to assist with this position.
2. Print out the photo and cut around the body and hands. If you are able to laminate the photo, this will make is last longer. Given that that may be a little harder on lock-down, you can always reprint and do this at a later date when they need a replacement.
3. Make a single hole punch at the top, right about where the hands are clasped together.
4. Tie a ribbon or yarn onto the bookmark and there you go! If you really want to get into making a high quality tassel for the bookmark, here is a great tutorial I found on Pinterest. It’s actually rather simple.
5. Don’t forget to write the date on the back. I made this bookmark back in 2017 pre-quarantine, and I love it even more now.